Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
Hard to Recycle Guide


No. Unfortunately, we do not pick up items unless they are actually in the garbage can. For more questions regarding this topic, please contact our office at 385-468-6325 or email us at

  • High-density polyethylene (HDPE) is one of the most commonly used plastics in the United States.
  • Labeled as #2 plastic, it is typically found in milk jugs, plastic bags, and refillable plastic bottles.
  • In addition to plastic lumber and recycled plastic furniture, recycled HDPE is used to manufacture lawn and garden products, buckets, crates, office products, and automobile parts.
  • HDPE plastic has several properties that make it ideal as a packaging and manufacturing product.
  • It’s stronger than standard polyethylene, acts as an effective barrier against moisture, and remains solid at room temperature.
  • It resists insects, rots, and other chemicals. 
  • HDPE creates no harmful emissions during its production or its use by the consumer. 
  • Also, HDPE leaks no toxic chemicals into the soil or water.

By recycling your #2 HDPE plastic waste, you are helping to create new, reusable, eco-friendly products and keep millions of pounds of waste from entering our landfills.

For information on recycling in your area, call 385-468-6337 (Sustainability Coordinator)  


To request a Green waste can:

  • Click here Request a Green waste can
  • You will be asked to pay a $70 start-up fee before we deliver your can.
  • The annual service is $126 and runs from mid-March to mid-December.


  • If your can is damaged through normal wear and tear, we will repair or replace it at no charge.
  • If your can is lost, stolen, or damaged by the property owner, there is a $70 replacement fee.
  • The replacement fee is reduced to $40 for a refurbished can.

  • If your can is still functional, there is a $70 charge to replace it with a new one.
  • If you would like a refurbished can, the cost is $40.


  • Salt Lake County health codes require that all residents receive sanitation services designated by their respective city, metro-township, or county.
  • If you live on a public street in The District's servicing area, The Wasatch Front Waste and Recycling District is legally obligated to collect from your home.
  • Just as with sewer services, we cannot shut off waste collections and stop billing for services.
  • The District is a non-profit organization and all fees collected are used to sustain services for The District's customers.

  • There are programs available through the Salt Lake County Treasurer’s office that can reduce property taxes, as well as  garbage collection fees.
  • You can contact them at or (385) 468-8300.

  • On January 1, 2013, the operations and employees of Salt Lake County Sanitation became Wasatch Front Waste and Recycling District, which is a special service district similar to a sewer or water district.
  • The change was made to give the cities and townships direct control over sanitation decisions for their residents.
  • We are governed by a Board of Trustees that is made up of elected council members from each area we service
  • The District was recently reorganized from a Special Services District to a Local District, which only minimized the steps necessary for any changes. 

  • Property tax notices are primarily communicated to property owners for property taxing purposes.
  • This separate billing process is more transparent and provides our residents with a clear understanding of the fees they pay for their sanitation services.

  • If fees are not paid by the quarterly due date, late fees will accrue, and any uncollected fees will be certified as delinquent on your property taxes and will be collected when property taxes are paid.
  • There is a Delinquent Administrative Fee of 8% of the outstanding balance added if your account is certified.

Property taxes qualify as an income tax deduction, but waste and recycling fees do not qualify for a deduction even when they are certified on property tax statements. Please consult your tax advisor for additional tax questions.

  • Yes, so long as the payment coupon is included with the payment. This is so that the correct account is credited. However, as the property owner, the end-responsibility lies with you, the property owner, to ensure the fee is paid.
  • The bill is sent to the address on file as the property owner from when the account was initially set up.