WFWRD currently offers two forms of glass recycling in the Wasatch Front area, curbside collection and drop-off collection. Unfortunately, curbside collection isn’t available for all resident but drop-off collection sites are available 24/7. For questions regarding glass recycling, please contact us.
Curbside Glass Recycling Collection
Glass collection is currently available to residents in the Emigration Canyon, Canyon Rim, Millcreek, East Mill Creek, Mount Olympus, Murray annex, Holladay, Cottonwood Heights, and Taylorsville areas; the service will extend to other areas and be available to all district residents in the next three years.
Submit an online request for a curbside glass bin or print out, fill in and return this pdf: Glass Recycling Sign-Up Form. We can take the signed document by email (email@example.com), fax (385-468-6330), or by person or mail (604 W 6960 S, Midvale, UT 84047) with your name, address, phone, and email legibly printed.
If you live outside the current curbside collection areas, and are interested in signing up when the service is available in your area, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How it Works
- Service is optional
- The glass is collected in a grey 35-gallon can
- WFWRD supplies the container and Momentum Recycling collects it
- All colors of glass bottles and jars are accepted–no color separation is required
- Once a month collection with reminders sent to your email, text or phone
- $8 monthly fee + an additional $45 startup fee
Curbside Collection Days
Check HERE to see when Momentum Recycling will come to collect your curbside glass recycling.
- Put your can at the curb by 7:00 a.m. on your assigned collection day.
- Place the can at least 3 feet away from vehicles and other objects to prevent property damage.
- Do not overfill the can, the lid must close. Overfilled cans may cause spillage in the roadway.
- Do not place items on the side of the can, they will not be collected.
Glass Recycling Drop-Off
Wasatch Front Waste and Recycling District has eight drop-off glass sites for residents who do not wish to/can not subscribe to curbside service.
- Scott Ave. Park (3475 South 800 East)
- Taylorsville Park (1628 West 4800 South)
- Upper District Park (approx. 3650 South Wasatch Blvd)
- Holladay City (4580 South 2300 East)
- Cottonwood Heights Public Works (6579 S 3000 E, Cottonwood Heights)
- Herriman Fire Station (5928 West 13100 South)
- Harmon’s Grocery at the Brickyard (3270 South 1300 East)
Keep in mind that these sites are heavily used (especially on the weekends). The drop-off sites are intended for use by residents only. (PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ITEMS ON THE GROUND)
General Rules for Glass Recycling (Drop-Off and Curbside)
- Glass bottles and jars ONLY. Broken bottles and jars are okay
- Empty container and remove lids/corks (no rinsing is necessary)
- Do not place items on the side of any glass recycling container
- Do NOT place the following items in any glass recycling container:
- Ceramics (i.e., plates and dishes)
- Light bulbs
- Bags, boxes, 6-pack cartons
Glass Drop-Off Locations
Upper District Park
Scott Ave Park
Holladay City Hall
Herriman Fire Station
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What happens to the glass after it’s been picked up?
- The glass will be recycled locally at Momentum Recycling’s processing facility in Salt Lake City. Visit Momentum Recycling’s website to find out what happens to your glass.
- Why can’t we put glass in our blue curbside can with all of the other recyclables?
- When the glass is collected in a recycling can, it breaks and makes the other recyclables in your can decrease in market value.
- Collecting glass separately results in more glass getting recycled. Curbside programs that collect glass typically recycle less than half the glass that is collected in the can due to the glass being broken down into pieces too small to recover.
- How can I recycle glass from my business?
- Momentum Recycling also provides a variety of recycling collection services for businesses throughout the Salt Lake Valley. Contact them by calling (801) 355-0334 or visiting www.utah.momentumrecycling.com.