Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I place Garbage bags/other items on the ground next to my garbage can to be picked up on garbage day?

No. Unfortunately we do not pick up items unless they are in the garbage can, for more questions regarding this please contact our office 385-468-6325 or email us at

Q: What is HDPE

A: High-density polyethylene (HDPE) is one of the most commonly used plastics in the United States. Labeled as #2 plastic, it is typically found in milk jugs, plastic bags and refillable plastic bottles. In addition to plastic lumber and recycled plastic furniture, recycled HDPE is used to manufacture lawn and garden products, buckets, crates, office products and automobile parts.
HDPE plastic has several properties that make it ideal as a packaging and manufacturing product. It’s stronger than standard polyethylene, acts as an effective barrier against moisture and remains solid at room temperature. It resists insects, rot and other chemicals. HDPE creates no harmful emissions during its production or during its use by the consumer.  Also, HDPE leaks no toxic chemicals into the soil or water.
Recycling contributes to reduction in resource consumption and pollution. Over 80% of U.S. households have access to a plastics recycling program. By recycling your #2 HDPE plastic waste, you are helping to create new, reusable, eco-friendly products and keep millions of pounds of waste from entering our landfills. For information on recycling in your area, email Ethan Morris (Sustainability Coordinator)  at

Q: What is included in my waste and recycling collection service?

Wasatch Front Waste provides your weekly garbage and recycling collection plus subscription curbside green waste collection, a seasonal bulk waste cleanup, Christmas tree pick up, fall leaf bag drop-off, moving box pickup, special assist getting cans to and from the curb for those with limited mobility, and rentals of bulk and green waste trailers. For a list of services provided by WFWRD click here.

Q: How much are my fees?

Your annual fee is $204 ($17 per month). We bill you $51 each quarter. All fees are due by the last day of the quarter, and late fees are assessed to delinquent accounts. You may set up automatic payments—click here for more information.

Q: Why does it cost so much more for a second garbage can?

It costs more to dispose of garbage than to process recycling or green waste. We charge more for an additional garbage can because we are trying to encourage recycling. Green waste cans are available here.

Q: How do I sign up for a green waste can?

Email us at or call (385) 468-6325 to sign up. You will be asked to pay a $60 start-up fee before we deliver your can. The annual service is $126 and runs from mid-March to mid-December. Billing for this service will begin in April. See our Green Waste page for more details.

Q: My can is broken, can I get a new one?

If your can is damaged through normal wear and tear, we will repair or replace it at no charge. If your can is lost or stolen or damaged by the property owner, there is a $70 replacement fee, plus a $10 delivery fee. The replacement fee is reduced to $10 if you file and submit a police report.

Q: Can I trade my old can in for a new one?

If your can is still functional, there is a $60 charge to replace it with a new one, plus a $10 delivery fee. If you would like a refurbished can, only the $10 delivery fee is charged.

Q: Can I opt out of waste and recycling services by Wasatch Front Waste?

Salt Lake County health codes require that all residents receive the sanitation services designated by their respective city or county. If you live on a public street in Cottonwood Heights, Herriman, Holladay, Millcreek, Taylorsville, parts of Murray or Sandy; the Metro Townships of Copperton, Emigration Canyon, Kearns, Magna, White City; or unincorporated Salt Lake County, Wasatch Front Waste is legally obligated to collect from your home. Just as with sewer services, we cannot shut off waste collections and stop billing for services. All fees collected are used to sustain services for District customers.

Q: I am on a fixed income. Do I qualify for any waivers?

There are programs available through the Salt Lake County Treasurer’s office that can reduce property taxes, as well as your garbage fee. You can contact them at or (385) 468-8300.

Q: When did Salt Lake County Sanitation become Wasatch Front Waste and Recycling District?

A: On January 1, 2013, the operations and employees of Salt Lake County Sanitation became Wasatch Front Waste and Recycling District, which is a special service district similar to a sewer or water district. The change was made to give the cities and townships direct control over sanitation decisions for their residents. We are governed by a board made up of elected council members of Cottonwood Heights, Herriman, Holladay, Millcreek, Taylorsville, Murray, Sandy; the Metro Townships of Copperton, Emigration Canyon, Kearns, Magna, White City; and Salt Lake County.

Q: Why are my waste and recycling fees being billed instead of showing up on my property taxes?

A: Property tax notices are mainly for taxes. This separate billing is more transparent and provides our residents a clear understanding of the fees they pay for sanitation services.

Q: What happens if I don’t pay my fees?

A: If you don’t pay your fees by the quarterly due date, late fees will accrue, and any uncollected fees will be certified as delinquent on your property taxes and will be collected when property taxes are paid. There is a Delinquent Administrative Fee of 8% of the outstanding balance added if your account is certified.

Q: Can I write-off waste and recycling fees on my federal income taxes?

A: Property taxes qualify as an income tax deduction, but waste and recycling fees do not qualify for a deduction even when they are certified on property tax statements. Please consult your tax advisor for additional tax questions.

Q: I am a landlord. Can I have my renters pay the annual fee directly?

A: Yes, so long as they include the payment coupon with their payment so we credit the payment correctly. However, as the property owner, the responsibility lies with you to make sure the fee is paid, and the bill will always be sent to the property owner. If you have any additional questions, we would love to hear from you anytime! Please email or call (385) 468-6325.